ORCHARD PROJECT EPISODIC LAB FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
The Orchard Project Episodic Lab is a high level and intense program and, like the Orchard Project, focused on accelerating projects by established and emerging professionals. However, anyone can apply.
- Applicants should be 18 years of age or older at time of application.
- The project must be an original creation or adapted from optioned source material, and shoud be written in the English language.
- The project must be new and not already produced.
- Projects should not have already been distributed online or otherwise.
- While the majority of projects accepted will not have been sold to a third party, we will also work with third parties to accelerate projects that have; in those instances, the third party must be aware of the application at the time of submission and different stipulation as to participation may apply.
- .Applicants can have already sold an episodic project (pilot or pitch) to a studio or network in the past.
- The project cannot not infringe the copyright or any other proprietary right of another individual or entity. The creator/applicant is responsible for all rights pertaining to the project.
- WHAT ARE THE DATES?
June 14-28, 2019
- If we submitted a project before, can we submit it again?
Of course. We do not rule anything inelligible if it has already been submitted in a previous year.
- When will applicants be notified?
One common question is that it has been hard for you to find your saved application, so we have cleaned up the “my applications” page so that it might be easier to navigate, and recommend you go there:
This new layout will allow you to see all your applications together, edit them, and delete any unwanted ones.
Another question has been about looking for a "submit" button. Please remember that there is no submission button for the second round questionnaire. If you see it on the list above, we have received it and will evaluate it. Please just fill it out and feel free to edit it as many times as you wish before the deadline. It will save each time.
- The second round app has no submit button - how do I know it is submitted?
For the 2019 Lab, applicants will receive notification via email about whether or not they have been selected for Round 2 of our online application process by Feb 17, 2019.
Applicants selected to participate in the program will be notified by April 1, 2019.
- HOW LONG IS THE APPLICATION AND DO I NEED TO SEND SCRIPTS?
We hate long applications as much as you do, so our initial application is intentionally very short. It includes questions that will ask you to:
- Provide a logline for your project
- Provide an episode summary
- Provide the first five pages of your pilot
- Provide a personal statement about your series
If invited for a second round, applicants will be asked to provide a draft of the full first episode.
- CAN I APPLY MULTIPLE TIMES?
Yes. Unlike our normal OP program, the Episodic Lab application is tied to specific project. You may apply with as many projects as you would like. If you are submitting a second application (or third or fourth for that matter), the application fee for those applications will be reduced down to $20. A new link will appear on the application submission page, and if you have any problems with finding it, please let us know.
- HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN WORK ON A PROJECT
We will consider writing teams of up to two people.
- WHAT ABOUT FOOD, HOUSING, TRAVEL AND PER DIEMS?
This is mentioned on our other pages, but residents are provided with work space, company management, accommodation, communal dining and magnificent upstate scenery. For the Episodic Lab, there is a transportation budget to assist artists to get to Saratoga on a need based basis.
- I AM ALREADY AN ALUM OF AN ORCHARD PROJECT PROGRAM. CAN I APPLY?
Yes. We try to balance the need to open ourselves up to new and diverse voices with also being a true home to our current family of artists. We never see a residency as a one off, but rather as the beginning of a relationship. Hopefully you will too.
- WHAT IS THE APPLICATION FEE?
Applications for the Episodic Lab are $30 if submitted before Dec 15, and $40 if submitted between after Dec 15.
- WHY IS THERE AN APPLICATION FEE?
Application fees will be used to process applications quickly and ensure their timely turnaround, and any income from fees not spent during the application process is used as scholarship assistance for our young company of apprentices. If you have problems with the fee, please email us directly with the reason and we can hopefully accommodate.
- WHAT ABOUT DOGS AND KIDS?
Great question. We try to live by the golden rule while at the same time making sure such does not come at the expense of other artists at the Orchard Project. For working mothers and fathers, we make every effort to make the Orchard Project a welcoming place for families. If accepted, we will work with you to understand your needs.
We sadly, however, cannot host pets. That is a requirement of the facilities we rent and exceptions are only made in consultation with our landlords.
- GIVE BACK TO THE ORCHARD PROJECT
The Orchard Project was founded by artists for artists as a place to support theatre companies and bold artist and their continued excellence by providing them with an opportunity to take risks in an ideal location. In return for participation and to support, participants will be obligated to sign an agreement meant to be seen as a vehicle whereby participants help The Orchard Project, a non-profit organization, sustain its commitment to supporting artists on an ongoing basis. That agreement will stipulate that (a) in the case of sale or option of their pilot/series, they will include terms that allow make a contribution to the Orchard Project of the greater of either (1) 0.5% of the portion of their show's/series' final budget that exceeds $1,000,000, (2) 10% of any Production Company Fee paid for as part of a pattern or amortized show budget; (b) The Orchard Project will receive 1% of 100% of the shows receipts, and (c) The Orchard Project will receive a credit line and logo placement in the show's end titles.
ANY MORE QUESTIONS? EMAIL US AT INFO@ORCHARDPROJECT.COM